Friday, March 25, 2011

Alien vs Ninja

Exhausted after work, beer in hand, browsing Netflix for something crap to watch, I found this. Wasn't expecting much -- was pretty sure Joe had actually given it a negative review here a few months back -- but man did it ever entertain.
Particularly the Japanese Sean Bean.

Not a good movie -- all scenes with talking are so bad they're funny again, and the dub actors not being able to decide if the lead chin beard is Yamada or Yamata just adds to the 'fun' -- but the action scenes are all pretty fucking great. Very much hits that sweet spot of stunt actors in the woods with props made of tinfoil making the movie they always fucking wanted to be working on. As much as I'm looking forward to it I doubt Sucker Punch will contain anything as gleefully over the top as the bit where the token girl ninja fist fights the alien with tin foil gauntlets.

1 comment:

  1. Try two posts down, bud.

    Anyway, I'm surprised you liked this; I thought it was almost unwatchable until they killed off the terrible comic relief character and the zombie ninjas started cursing in Engrish. Which was about an hour into the movie. Maybe the dub would have added enough ambient badness to tip it from "Why am I watching this" to "I can't believe I'm seeing this".

    ReplyDelete