Thursday, May 13, 2010

Tatami Galaxy 4

I am officially bored. I said the show was going to have to figure out a way to vary the formula and keep things interesting, but it has absolutely failed to do this. There are moments of insane, beautiful genius peppered liberally throughout it:

...but I just don't give a shit.
I basically think exactly the same thing as I did with Trapeze -- taking insanely talented directors like Yuasa and Kenji Nakamura and forcing them to fritter away their talent on third-rate books not worth filming by authors not worthy of licking the boots of these creative giants is doing both the bootlickers and the visionary directors and the Noitamina audience a huge disservice. Let these people make their own shows! Stop wasting them on adaptions of books that don't bring in an audience anyway!

2 comments:

  1. Part of me feels the same way and I could sort of half-care less about the material.

    Honestly I'm still greatly enjoying the show, but this show is coming in at an emotionally hard time for me as an artist so I could be biased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't seen episode four yet, but I can understand the apathy. I'm still enjoying it a good deal so far, but it hit me right at the end of episode three -- with the same reversed revolutions of the clocks -- that this isn't going to work unless Yuasa really shows some notable progression. Right now, I can't imagine re-watching it.

    Fuck, I can't even imagine the tedium Endless Eight must be...

    I eventually accepted Trapeze as a sitcom, so I eventually grew to enjoy it. Would've like to have seen more atypical episodes like episode 13, where the brilliance from Mononoke started to reappear again...

    ReplyDelete